Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Some expert commentary ...

This video explains what Sir Ken Robinson thinks is wrong with public education and how/why we got that way. He makes some pretty controversial statements about ADHD, but I don't think he's attacking students as much as he's attacking the system.

We'll talk more about visual rhetoric later in the year, but I'm pretty sure the artist wasn't working with the speaker to create this video. The artist was creating images to both complement and supplement the text. It's a good use of intellectual energy to think about the relationship of the word and image.

I'm curious to know what y'all think. Agree? Disagree? Comment below.

5 comments:

  1. This is MeShine, just in case my name thing doesn't pop up. Um. . . after watching this video, I would agree because I think that the school and education system puts a lot of expectations on the students. After thinking about it, it reminded me of what was said after the assembly on Wednesday; about how the education system is a facade. It's kind of unfair that all the studying and standardize testing is just to make the school look good. Like OAKs testing. Most people have passed it but we have to take it and try to exceed so that the school will look better. Personally, it seems just like an excuse to the world. I don't really know where I'm going with this, but I think that if students give it their best, but the school is forcing them even more, that it isn't fair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the animation and I think that he uses them to guide you in the thinking process of his argument, and to keep your brain active and working while he is speaking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this was very interesting and the pictures helped support his ideas in a funny but memorable way. The ADHD was taken in a way i've never heard of before. To think that for some people to get through school they have to be drugged was indeed a new idea. Didn't seem like he was attacking the students at all... I agree with a lot of what he said though. In fact, my essay was kind of on this topic of creativity in teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought it was very interesting. Not sure if I agree with everything, but I thought he made good points about education.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uhm this is unrelated to what you posted, but i thought it was really funny and it's relevant to your subject!

    http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

    ReplyDelete