Monday, October 17, 2016

Some thoughts about grades on essays ...

  • A good essay is not necessarily a good story.
  • Good writing is not always enough to make a good story.

  • A "bad" grade does not mean your story was written badly.
  • A "bad" grade does not mean I don't respect your story or your writing.
  • A "bad" grade does not mean you are a bad person.

  • A "bad" grade reflects the fact you are expected to write with the same skill level as someone who is two years older than you and who has had two more years of writing experience and instruction.
  • A "bad" grade indicates that you missed one or more of the purposes of the assignment.
  • In general - and beware the dangers of hasty generalizations - the less I have to say about your essay, the more work you need to do. That's not always the case, but it is generally true.
As you consider revising, consider the following:
  1. Am I satisfied with the quality of my writing?
  2. Do I think I can improve my story?
  3. Do I think I can make the changes Kline suggests?
  4. Do I want to?
Revisions are due on Monday, 10/24. I'd advise conferencing with me before revising.

No comments:

Post a Comment