Saturday, May 14, 2011

Where do I start?

It seems like the directions for the Justice Essay must be paradoxical: how do I write a definition of justice that is useful to me as a human being and write a research paper at the same time?

The answer is the answer to all good writing: follow your heart.
  • Like animals? Build your research questions around the way we treat our pets, our predators, our food.
  • Like words? Consider issues of intellectual property or censorship. Who owns your art? Your thoughts?
  • Are you a chemist? A biologist? I imagine there are ethical issues surrounding the development, testing, and sales of new medicines. Or the costs of medical procedures. Or insurance.
  • Fond of the planet? Perhaps you could ask yourself, "What is our obligation to the environment?" I'm sure you could research our use of pesticides, fertilizers, and GMOs. Deforestation. Is renewable energy really environmentally friendly? Who says? How can you trust them?
  • Are you a sports fanatic? How do you feel about PEDs?
Anywho. I think you get the point: follow your heart.

3 comments: