Sunday, December 4, 2011

If You're Still Searching for a Topic ...

Subject: Write about a time you needed help.

This morning, I wanted my daughter to help me rake the front yard. Did I need help? No. Was I incapable of doing the work myself? Nope. I just thought the work would be more fun with her company. As an added bonus, I could teach her some lame fatherly lesson about hard work and blah, blah, blah. (I'll skip the actual narrative, because this hypocrite doesn't have to write 500-700 words about this subject.)

So what?

We had a great time. I remembered raking leaves with my dad, and I thought about one day in the future, when Wrig will be out there doing yard work with her kids, thinking about me. For a brief period of time, I was reminded that I belong to something larger than myself or even my family. I am part of the fraternity of fathers (and mothers), who have a job far more significant and complex than I usually care to admit. (And I could go on, but I won't, because hopefully you get the idea. The whole point of the "So What?" is to make this essay matter to people who don't know you.)

I'm looking forward to reading your essays!

No comments:

Post a Comment