Friday, May 25, 2012

One last self check ...

Is your paper a research paper? Are you working independently to find a wide variety of sophisticated, credible sources? Are you establishing those sources clearly and effectively? Are you formatting and punctuating your quotations properly? Are you citing your sources properly? If the answer to these questions is "No," you're looking at a C, at best.

And finally ... part of college level writing is control of conventions. If your papers consistently receive a mountain of checkmarks, be sure to find a good editor.

And finally ... this is my fourth post in forty minutes. Keep scrolling down for useful and interesting info.

1 comment:

  1. A couple more questions:

    How scientific can I take my approach and diction. For example, when writing "that the flesh of a strawberry is simply specialized tissue cells" is it too much to say they are made up of "parenchyma cells which developed from the ovary of the flower"? Who can I count on being my audience besides you? (This is my own knowledge from AP Bio)

    Also, my evidence so far are facts, not quoted material. Are you expecting quoted material? Will it hurt my ethos if I don't? For example "bacteria are so small that a line of 1,000 can fit across the eraser top (“Bacterial”)." Do I need to establish that I found this fact on MedlinePlus.com (a .gov website that is a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine), or is the citation enough?

    Thank you! I really appreciate your time in answering these!

    ReplyDelete