Monday, May 28, 2012

A small cause for concern ...

In the last week, several people asked "How many synthesis paragraphs do we need?" The answer: "I'm not counting synthesis paragraphs; however, you need to make sure your paragraphs are thoroughly developed."

While revising your war essays, many authors added paragraphs to bulk up the content of their papers. One or two writers added synthesis paragraphs, but most writers added purely argumentative paragraphs - very short, purely argumentative paragraphs.

If your paper is filled with four and five sentence paragraphs, you need to develop your ideas more thoroughly. This does not mean you should take two short paragraphs and cram them together, thinking that makes one well developed paragraph. That does mean you should a second example, or a quotation, or an analogy.

I'm sure I'm worrying needlessly, but it's better for you if you hear this Monday morning rather than Tuesday.

1 comment:

  1. You're not the only one! Had a dream I slept through 1st period and turned in my paper to you laate, without a header, last night. I'm sure you're happy you cause this... (:

    ReplyDelete