Monday, December 2, 2013

A funny story about multiple choice practice

Last spring, on the day before the AP exam, we spent class outside working (or not, in some cases) in small groups. Kids were focusing (or not, in some cases) on the area of the exam that confuzzled them most. I wandered from group to group, eavesdropping and trying to avoid answering questions, as I'm wont to do.

One group told me that they were incredibly frustrated with the multiple choice questions; the questions were just too hard. They suggested that I start practicing the MC sections much earlier so kids would be better prepared. I pondered for a moment, and then I asked them, "Well, you know how I always suggested that, after you took the test and before I gave you the answers, you go home and continue working? I suggested that you go home and look up all the words - in both the selections and the distractors - that got in the way of you answering the questions. Do you guys do that?"

Hm. I wonder if you can tell me how they responded.

Now quit wasting your time on the blog and go look up some words.


No comments:

Post a Comment