Thursday, December 20, 2012

Sample Cover Letter

To the Op-Ed Editor:

Please consider my essay, “She Still Hasn’t Paid Me Back,” for publication as an “In My Opinion” column. As concern over the national debt increases, this essay offers a light-hearted exploration of the dangers of spending beyond our means.

Should you choose to publish my essay, please use the following bio: Ed Kline teaches Language Arts at Oregon City High School.

I have pasted the essay into the body of this e-mail and attached it as a Microsoft Word Document. Please contact me if you have any questions.

Thank you for your consideration,

Ed Kline

5 comments:

  1. so I doubt anybody is checking this, it being winter break and what not, but are we allowed to cut and copy this and fill in the blanks? Or should we write our own?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can, but be sure to actually fill in the blanks. A number of your classmates have used my bio as their own, which just doesn't make sense. None of you are named Ed Kline. It would be really confusing if you were, don't you think?

      Delete
    2. Good question. I was about to go to work and realized that I have to submit mine today, but I had the same question as Erin. Thanks! :)

      Delete
  2. I was wondering if we need to include our word count, class, class period, and date in our final draft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The word count isn't a bad idea, but it's not essential. You don't want the class period. You want to look like a columnist, not a student.

      Delete