Saturday, April 4, 2020

Dear Feet, by Ed Kline


Dear Feet
April 4, 2020

Just wanted to say thanks
for all the miles lately.
Car’s been parked,
bike’s got a flat,
but we’ve put plenty
of road behind us anyways.

Without you,
I’d fall over –

but, seriously folks,
without you,
I would have missed
a billion blossoms
in light spring rain,
or that golden lab
chasing the geese in the park.
I would have missed
the chubby cheeked cackle
of that kid on his big wheel.

We go back a long way,
you and I,
and I’ve never thanked you
for all that kickball
or putting up with my
feeble attempts
with a skateboard.
I ignored all your help
during 12 hour shifts
waiting tables and
never really appreciated
your tireless tread
on weekend hikes.

But now, in these
long empty days,
when my world
could be confined to
living room, dining room,
bedroom, yard,
you have given me space,
you have given me freedom,
you have given me an open ending.

Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment