Thursday, April 2, 2020

Second Story, by Ed Kline


Second Story
April 2, 2020

If you hear this story
secondhand,
you know the telling
will be
second rate.
So keep your eye on the
second hand –
you don’t want to be one
second late.

I started my day at a
secondhand store,
searching for some Cons
in search of a
second chance.
Time was tight,
seconds took flight,
So off I took, without a
second look.

I found myself at a
second store,
like a runner on
second base,
ready to score,
but not one pair of Chucks
was worth a
second thought,
so I ditched that place without a
second lost.

And I ended up here,
where I should have come first,
to get some grub for my hunger
and some liquid for my thirst,
to find an ear for my woes,
and a loving pair of eyes,
and a sympathetic hand
serving up an apple pie –
Why, yes, if you insist,
I’d love a
second slice.

No comments:

Post a Comment